Thursday, September 6, 2007

Scenes from the Bus Stop 2

There's a middle age woman who occasionally rides the same bus as me. I think she is autistic. Whenever I see her on the bus, she always asks the same questions and makes the same comments. However, she doesn't like to be in conversation with anyone for very long, and gets defensive if you ask her too many questions.
This morning was definitely the most interesting, cute, and blog-worthy conversation we've had so far. She began by asking if she could play me something that she had in her backpack. I nodded, curious about what it might be. She pulled out one of those singing Hallmark cards with a song from Sister Act! And proceeded to play it through in its entirety - twice. I made the appropriate, "Oh that's fun!" type comments and smiled, thinking she would soon tire of the conversation. Then she asked if she could show me something else, so I said, sure. She pulled a piece of choir music out of her backpack and told me it was her favorite song. Then she said, "I'm going to sing it for you." And she did. The whole thing. Standing outside at the bus stop, with about twenty other people around. I said, "Thanks for singing for me." She said, "I don't feel like singing anymore, ok?" put the music back in her backpack, and then ignored me.
Ah, the bus stop. Can't beat it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were so nice to listen!

Anonymous said...

Yay I can post!